Thursday, January 27, 2011

Some of my early quilts

This first quilt is one I made back in 2005.  I'd made a quilt for my sister for Christmas and loved the look that resulted from fussy cutting the Dresden plate sections.  I decided to make a quilt for myself in my favorite color, burgundy.  I picked up all the fabrics at Ginger's Quilt Shop in Lafayette.  The beautiful tulips in the burgundy fabrics make a wonderful pattern when fussy cut and quilted following the resulting lines.  I hand quilted the medallions and machine quilted the rest by stitching in the ditch on my home sewing machine.  That was back when I had a Brother Disney machine.  It still amazes me that I was able to so do much on that small little machine. Although the quilt is now six years old and beginning to fade, it hangs out on the back of the sofa and is often pulled down for movies and sleep-overs, especially when the grandkids come by.  They know it's okay to use this quilt but to keep it off the floor.  Cotton will mark it as soon as a thread touches the floor!





This little quilt is one that I made for a church fair raffle when we were raising money to refurbish the stained windows.  The center section--cross, chalice, bread, grapes--are my designs.  The rest of the quilt comes directly from one of the windows.  I taped paper up and traced the leading in the window.  Then transferred it to fabric.  Of course, the windows are much more beautiful than the quilt, but it's not a bad effort for someone who never made a stained quilt before.

This one is from a postcard that came in the mail.  I enlarged the picture using a projector.  It was my practice quilt when I was trying to figure out how to make a stained glass quilt for the church fair.


This last one is a little sports-themed quilt using the triple Irish chain pattern.  I wanted to make a one in yellow and blue.  Once I saw the outcome, I had to add the sports pictures and make it for a little boy.

There are quite a few more, but this will do for now.  Thanks for looking.  Let me know how you like them.  I really enjoy getting feedback from my friends.
Mary

No comments: