Friday, November 17, 2017

Pretty Pillows ~~ finishes

I spent most of this afternoon quilting up a couple of pillows for a customer who plans to give them as Christmas gifts. 

Fun quilting! I mean really fun! My customer requested that I quilt the two new pillows like I quilted the cream part of this tricolor one.



I put the original pillow near the long-arm so I could easily refer to it when I needed inspiration. Of course, I added some new motifs. One of them was a mistake. lol So I made the mistake a couple more times. Plus, I had a few ideas that I decided to try out. 

They worked out quite well, so I've taken lots of close-up photographs. It's an easy way to remember what I did this time. Since the pillows will be gone in a two or three days, I won't have them as reference points.



The overall idea was simple: fill up the space with small, repetitive motifs. I used leaves, circles, flowers, tear-drops, feathers, scrolls, tiny stippling, and some things that I don't even have a name for.



If I had any sense, I'd try to draw them out in a notebook, but I haven't exhibited any attempts or sense. Maybe after I get the last of my Christmas sewing done. 



I plan to write a tutorial on how I sewed the pillows together. I especially want to explain how to get square, decorator corners, instead of pokey, pointy ones. Come back tomorrow or Sunday for that tutorial.


Linking Up with These Fun Parties!

6 comments:

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

Beautiful quilting; I do like the trip-color pillow. I can't wait to see your tutorial. I really should make some pillows.

Karen S said...

Lovely idea for some pillows. So many possibilities with different colours and fabrics. Your quilting looks great.

Kaja said...

Great work, Mary!

Sandra Walker said...

Snort! “I haven’t exhibited any attempts or sense“ LOLOL Mary these are FABULOUS! I also love that you made a mistake and then repeated it, wise advice of Angela Walters that I always remember from her class. They are all spectacular. I’ll be back to check out your tips for those decorator corners.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What an AWESOME "stitch notebook" these pillows make!! Perfect gift-giving for any decor, too. Looking forward to your finishing tutorial!!

Ann said...

I never could keep a stitch notebook but photos of our work is much better for me. Those I can usually find although none of mine are as lovely as yours. So many great ideas here to blend from one design to the next. We don't see as much stitching and it's fun to see how people work things out as they go. Thanks for linking with AHIQ.